The present town of Rumford was settled as New Pennacook in 1774 as a farming community and became incorporated as Rumford in 1800. Since that time it has become the business center of the region with the Catalyst Paper Company as its largest employer.
Rumford is a beautiful area filled with trees, streams and mountains. The Androscoggin River flows through the town and features a series of spectacular waterfalls. Together they have a total drop of 176 feet making it the highest drop east of the Niagara Falls.
The Reflection Pool at the foot of the Falls is a peaceful place for relaxation and solitude. As visitors gaze over the pool they are transported back to a time when the Anasagunticook Indians visited the area to hunt and fish.
The business district of the town is located on “The Island” located between the Androscoggin River and the canals that were constructed many years ago to supply water to the mill. The Island features restaurants and retail stores along with the local government offices, Post Office and banking institutions.
Rumford is home to Black Mountain of Maine ski area, where competitors from far away have competed in national and world championship events. The Fourth of July brings celebration and fireworks that draw many thousands of people to the area.
Paul Bunyan and Babe, the Blue Ox have been a popular attraction for many visiting the Town of Rumford. These larger-than-life statues are located near the Information Center at the foot of the Falls.